About the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is a charitable, community-based organization that has been
making a positive impact on the lives of people of all ages, abilities, social and economic backgrounds for over 160 years. The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth Board of Directors is a volunteer group of
committed community leaders who are interested in contributing their time and talents to guide the
charity in achieving its mission, vision, and strategic goals.
Purpose: Building healthy communities, through a sense of belonging.
Values: Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Inclusion.
- Stewards of the YMCA, general control and management of policy and affairs of the YMCA is
vested in a Board of Directors.
- Comprised of 12 – 18 persons, including the immediate Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Past
- Directors shall be eligible for two, three-year terms; however, Directors who are elected as
Chair may have their term extended to fulfill the obligations of this role and that of the
immediate Past Chair.
- The Board meets virtually on a monthly, excluding July and August. Additional meetings may
be required for training purposes or to accomplish specific committee goals.
- Each Director is expected to serve on at least one committee.
The YMCA is committed to recruitment of a Board of Directors that is reflective of the communities we
serve, including consideration of age, ability, gender, race, culture, skill, networks and societal
The YMCA is seeking expressions of interest from community leaders to further explore involvement
with the YMCA Board of Directors with a focus on one or more of the following competencies/attributes
(in no specific order):
- possesses strong legal acumen, preferably with experience governing NPOs
- youth; with leadership experience or aptitude in the following: marketing and communication,
government relations, human resources, legal, or resource development
- resource development; experience leading fund development at the board level and/or
understanding of philanthropic community in HRM
- experience in P-12, post-secondary or other education field; either a current leader within an
institution, retired from an education career or has senior volunteer experience in this sector.
Please submit an expression of interest with resume to Amanda Rose at [email protected]
by 5:00 PM on Friday, January 29, 2021 for consideration. We would like to thank all for their interest
but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.