Join our Board of Directors
There are lots of places to volunteer, but few opportunities to do work that really matters, and the Y is one of those rare places. The YMCA is a charitable, not for profit organization, committed to providing equal opportunities for all, in a welcoming space that reflects the community we serve.
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is seeking expressions of interest from purpose driven community leaders to become a Volunteer Director. At the Y, you will be part of a values based, vibrant, diverse network of people, with a shared vision to change lives through three pillars.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Empower Youth
- Health and Wellbeing
Purpose: Building healthy communities through the power of belonging.
Mission: The YMCA is a charity dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind, and body and to share their sense of responsibility to each other and the global community.
Values: Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Inclusion
Board Details & Responsibilities:
- Stewards of the YMCA, general control and management of policy and affairs of the Association is vested in a Board of Directors
- Comprised of 12 – 19 persons, including the immediate Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Past Chairperson
- Directors shall be eligible for two, three-year terms; however, Directors who are elected as Chair may have their term extended to fulfill the obligations of this role
- The Board meets bi-monthly, has committee duties and may be required for training purposes or to accomplish specific organizational goals
The YMCA is committed to recruitment of a Board that is reflective of the communities we serve, including consideration of age, ability, gender, race, culture, skill, networks, and societal perspectives.
What we are looking for:
The YMCA is seeking expressions of interest from engaged community leaders to further explore involvement with the YMCA Board of Directors with a focus on one or more of the following competencies/attributes (in no specific order):
- Technology strong background in information technology with an understanding of the online landscape.
- Real Estate and Asset Development an understanding of construction, leasing, purchasing or development of land.
- Resource Development, experience leading fund development at the board level and/or understanding of the philanthropic community in Halifax and Nova Scotia
- Adds Diversity to our current Director composition (gender, race, culture, skill, networks, and societal perspectives)
YMCA of Great Halifax/Dartmouth Core Services
Our YMCA has a diverse set of programs that impact our entire community and in 2022 we will experience more than 300,000 visits to our 70 different program locations throughout the province. All our impactful programs and services can be accessed regardless of economic circumstance through our “Access for All” financial assistance program.
Our Program centres include services in:
- Child Care
- Immigrant Services
- Big Cove YMCA Camp
- Community YMCA
- John W. Lindsay YMCA
- Newcomer and Immigration
- Community Health Initiatives
- Youth Resilience Programming
Please submit your expression of interest including resume to Beatriz Friere at [email protected] by 5:00 PM on January 27, 2023 for consideration. We would like to thank all for their interest but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.