One vision, one team, countless possibilities
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people. Our shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families. A healthy community starts with healthy people – and this includes our volunteers and staff. We care about our people, and about giving them something to feel good about each day. We want to provide a healthy work environment that supports your overall well-being.
Why work for the Y?
Whether you’re just starting in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
- Be part of a diverse and socially inclusive environment where you can experience positive work relations and be yourself
- Meaningful opportunities to impact the lives of individuals and help increase the health of our communities
- An appreciation of you as an individual, and your desire to make a meaningful contribution
- Lifelong learning including training and leadership opportunities to support your growth
- Work-life balance and a family-friendly environment to help you balance your personal and work commitments
- Comprehensive benefits to support your overall health
Why volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA values its history of partnering with volunteers. There are many benefits of volunteering, such as:
- Learning new skills
- Sharing your knowledge and expertise
- Meeting new people
- Finding a place to belong
- Making new friends
- Helping your community improve its overall health
Full or Part Time, we are looking for dynamic and passionate self-starters to join our team. Our staff are motivated by our cause and want to use their skills to foster our mission. Whether you’re behind the scenes ensuring programs run smoothly, or teaching a fitness class, the Y is a place to build your career and challenge yourself to become an innovator. To view our current opportunities, please click here
You have a lot to offer the YMCA: your time, energy, and ideas. As a Y volunteer, you may mentor young people, fundraise, produce a special event, or advise on local issues. No matter how you help, you’ll make a big difference in the lives of people in your community. To view our current opportunities, please click here
By undertaking meaningful and challenging projects, we continuously provide students with engaging work in the heart of their communities. Students play a big role in our organization, and continuously bring innovative and fresh talent to our team. We offer a variety of different opportunities to students from work-terms, to volunteer positions, to part-time employment. To view our current opportunities, please click here.
Our Selection Process
There are a number of steps we take before extending a job offer. We are diligent about hiring people who are qualified for our jobs, and considered suitable to work with children or vulnerable people in our communities.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to providing socially inclusive and barrier-free experiences to all members of our team. Here are some ways we will evaluate your job application:
- Performing an objective assessment of your skills, qualifications and experience against the job
- Conducting formal interviews and including questions designed to determine suitability for working with children or vulnerable people (in positions of trust)
- Conducting thorough reference checks and carefully checking credentials
- Asking you to submit Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector checks as a condition of your employment
- Using job-relevant assessments for specific positions and using a range of screening methods
Continue your story with us…
Looking for assistance in finding employment? Visit our YMCA Nova Scotia Works Employment Centre