Who We Are
Building brighter futures.
For 170 years, we’ve cared for kids, shaped leaders for tomorrow, helped generations of people come together for support, and provide experiences that last a lifetime.
As a charitable, non-profit organization, we are committed to providing equal opportunities for all, in welcoming spaces that are both nurturing and fun — a community of shared responsibilities, where children and families thrive.
Our charity creates opportunities for personal growth, fosters connection and supports change. Through a wide variety of programs and services, we’re building a brighter future across Nova Scotia.
YMCA Association Services
Every Day At the Y...
- Parents can pursue their careers or education while their kids learn and grow in child care
- Adults achieve peace of mind at yoga classes and reach healthy workout goals at our health and fitness centres
- Toddlers build confidence with every stroke, learning lifesaving swimming skills in our swimming & aquatics programs
- Youth become (literal and figurative) trailblazers in our camping and outdoor education programs
- Older adults stay active and connected to their communities
- Job seekers find employment support as they navigate the current labour market
- Newcomers are welcomed and supported as they settle in a new country
- Students gain life experiences as volunteers, and as youth leaders in work and exchange programs
YMCA Association Services
YMCA Association Services houses the administrative support offices of the YMCA Greater Halifax/Dartmouth including the office of the CEO, finance, human resources, marketing and communications, donor relations and fund development.
Director, Funds Development and Community Engagement
She / Her
p. (902) 717-9807
Vice President, YMCA Atlantic Regional Development Centre (RDC)
She / Her
p. (902) 221-8974
Executive Assistant to the President/CEO
She / Her
p. (902) 399-5180
On December 6, 1853, a small group of men came together in the office of Peter Lynch. In the Forrester Building on Barrington Street with a reading room, a library, classes, and bi-weekly lectures, the organization that would become the YMCA of Greater Halifax and Dartmouth was formed.
We will build healthy communities by creating spaces and programs that help people belong through:
History of YMCAs in Canada
The YMCA story began in London, England over 170 years ago with one man who had an idea about how to make his community stronger. From that idea sprang a movement that would spread across the globe, inspiring millions to grow in spirit, mind and body.
As a charitable organization, the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth has an obligation to remain publicly accountable. As a values-based organization, we are committed to fostering an open, honest and inclusive environment. To deliver on our commitment, we’re providing access to information which ensures we are accountable to the communities we serve. This includes information regarding:
- Promoting the safety, well-being and potential of children, youth and vulnerable persons is the cornerstone of our work at the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth. We believe Child Protection is the responsibility of everyone at the YMCA. To ensure the welfare and protection of children and vulnerable persons, we take a number of steps including:
Valuing, respecting, and listening to children, youth, and vulnerable persons.
Ensuring all necessary checks are made when recruiting staff and volunteers.
Maintaining strong child protection systems and procedures for staff and volunteers.
Training all YMCA staff and volunteers and providing a common understanding of child protection issues to inform planning and practice.
Sharing information about child protection and good practice with children and parents/guardians.
Sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parents/guardians and children appropriately.
Providing effective management for staff through clear processes, supervision, support, and regular audits.
Annual review of our YMCA Child Protection Policy, third-party annual audits, and annual training with staff and volunteers
For more information on Child Protection, please contact:
Child Protection Lead
- As a charitable organization, we are committed to transparent and ethical management of funds. The YMCA is committed to ensuring that:
We work closely with our donors to ensure the wishes and expectations around their gift are met.
We treat donors respectfully and with gratitude for their generosity and support.
We carefully manage all fundraising costs to ensure maximum benefit to our community.
We provide reports on how we use the funds we collect to ensure transparent management of all contributions.
We ensure the accuracy of all communication materials to confirm they correctly reflect our mission.
We prepare and issue tax receipts for monetary gifts, in full compliance with all regulatory requirements.
The YMCA and its related constituents never disclose privileged or confidential information to unauthorized parties.
YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth Charitable Registration #10808 3825 RR0001.
YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth
Email: [email protected]